Dear Parents, Staff and Students,
With the change in weather and the onset of colder temperatures, I wanted to remind everyone of our inclement weather procedures. Please take a moment and review our protocols and inclement weather tips as we enter into the school week.
Inclement Weather Tips
- Expect the bus to run late and be prepared for this event.
- Please wait at the bus stop with your children until the bus picks them up. Students need the ability to get out of the elements in the event the bus is late.
- Observe the following winter safety tips with your students who walk to and from the bus stops or schools:
- Dress appropriately for cold weather – sweaters, pants, winter coats, hats, scarves, socks and boots.
- Allow extra travel time to get to the bus stop or school.
- Wear bright jackets or coats so bus drivers can easily see you in the morning or evening.
- Stand at least 10 steps away or back from bus stops. Buses need extra room to stop when there is snow or ice.
- Do not walk or play on snow mounds or ice within 10 feet of the roadway – you can fall and slip into the roadway and be at risk of being struck by a vehicle.
- Do not cross the street at your bus stop until all traffic has come to a complete stop and the bus driver has signaled that it is safe to cross.
While we attempt to make the best safety decisions for the entire district, we respect the fact that parents must make the final decision on whether their children attend school or not during severe weather conditions. Also, please discourage your high school students from driving in bad conditions and offer them alternatives.
Additional updates can be found on the Billings Public Schools website.